Monday, May 9, 2011

Yogariffic!

Well it is never a good sign when your husband laughs as he watches you exit the store with your newly purchased yoga mat. To be fair, I don't think either of us thought that this day would come. I may truly be one of the world's most naturally inflexible people. I remember avoiding kayaking as a child at summer camp, because I couldn't sit up with my legs straight in front of me...I still can't. Despite my avoidance of all things requiring flexibility...I keep hearing about the benefits of stretching and being flexible. Heading rapidly towards middle age...I'm fighting against a body that is ready for retirement. I creak and groan and move around like a creature in the night rather than a hip and happening young mama. As I have seen various specialist over the years to deal with issues in my feet and knees and hips and back...it keeps coming back to needing to stretch my muscles. In my attempt to find balance, I decided that yoga may finally be worth the embarrassment and searched for a perfect class for me. I found one, but didn't feel like I could use one more minute of help from my faithful village of supporters, so decided to keep waiting until a better time. Then I saw a sign...literally...that advertised a yoga class, close to my house and at exactly the right time in the week when I already had help but an hour to spare before Meg's therapy. I signed up and attended my first class today. I am one for exaggeration and was hoping that I had exaggerated my lack of flexibility even to myself. Not so. I really cannot touch my toes. I really cannot sit up without crossing my knees. I really am not made for yoga. However, I am beyond embarrassment so am just going to run with it. I've got 8 weeks of yogariffic fun ahead. Perhaps I may even move slightly more limber when it is all said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment