Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Off to the Races

I feel like June is literally flying by. When I look at the calendar, it is a flurry of various ink colours combining to make for an incredibly busy month. I'm not sure if it is the busyness, teething, reflux, a new stage, or an unknown reason, but Little M's sleep seems to also be upside down this month. She seems to think that a 15 minute cat nap is enough for her afternoon nap. She will smile or coo or scream, but she will not go back to sleep once awake. Whenever a new stage begins, I usually fearfully think..."Is this part of her disorder?" I will admit the thought did occur with this, but was quickly replaced with the thought, "Here we go again." My kids don't like to sleep. I hear of these children who love their 14 hour nights and lengthy naps...however, they are a completely different species than my own. Mine are never the first to sleep through the night and always the first to give up their naps. Now little M thinks that she wants to go to one nap at 10 months and that 9pm to 5am is a sufficient nights sleep. She's happyish for the most part and had it not been for my fatigue and the darkening circles under her eyes, I'd almost buy it. I know about bedtime routines and calming the child before bed and set sleep times...I'm doing all of that...she just won't sleep. I've tried walks and car rides and cuddles...I've read the books. They just don't love to sleep...at least they all seem to stay asleep once they finally get there. As I am writing this at 11pm...I just heard Little M calling for some sweet loving...so much for my previous comment. With a full calendar and a baby who doesn't want to sleep, I am finding it really hard to just do the basics of life. Does one really need to brush one's hair in a day? When tiredness takes over, it is even more important to make a conscious decision to be joyful in my day...if only I could catch up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment