Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mr. Independence Starts School

Last year was a tough September. My eldest began JK literally days after I returned home from the hospital. I had disappeared for a month and he had been shuffled between family members and spent visits in hospital waiting rooms and yellow gowned sterility. He was hurdled into a new environment barely able to put on his shoes and open his snacks. I questioned his readiness and ached as I watched him struggle and tried to help ease the transition in any way I could. My heart still hurts looking back, which may have lead to a few tears as school approached this week. I may not have been ready, but he sure was. There was no look of fear on his face as he lined up to go into the school. Despite a new teacher and set of classmates, he was happy and calm. He confidently had zipped up his backpack and put on his shoes as he headed out yesterday morning. He was a different boy this year. It is amazing to see how resilient kids are and how quickly they grow and mature. He still like his cuddles, but I'm starting to see his dependence on me slightly loosening its grip. I'll see how long I can hang on.

No comments:

Post a Comment