Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rashes and Worktrips and Blizzards, Oh My!

Just when I think I'm finally finding balance...the moment when I actually have a moment to do something healthy for myself...life tries to smother my joy. It's great choosing joy when things aren't great in your life, but so much nicer when it comes easy because life is full of blatant reasons to be joyful. Although I guess that it is always dependent on perspective. Well, I've had a really good stretch and have actually taken a little time in the day to prepare some nutritious meals for myself rather than leftover pizza crusts and cookies, as well as start exercising. Shockingly it actually resulted in weight loss and more energy...I guess what they say is truth...but after 4 relatively stellar weeks...there are always a few hiccups, the winds of change started to blow. It started with a sudden job change for Jeff at work. We got congratulations and I did feel proud of him for being recognized at having the skills for a new job and more responsibilities...but I felt the weight of the new responsibilities. It started with two weeks of travel right away and a promise of much more to come. It also meant new dress clothes and laptop cases with no increased wage and a tight budget...although he does look very handsome in a shirt and tie. It also meant more work at home and stress for him which has a funny way of affecting me...silly love. As he headed out the door for Australia this week...I was fighting the worst cold I've had and dealing with the stress of little M's mysterious rash and night wakings. The blizzard warnings dominating the news last night tip me over the edge and I felt anxiety rise and my joy slipping away. In my creative or delusional mind, I could picture myself huddled with the children under all our blankets, rationing water until emergency crews finally rescued us from our snow encased house. Okay, rather dramatic, but that's what happens when you can't sleep and have watched a few too many weather disaster related movies. It may also have to do with the vulnerability that somehow enters the house with Jeff's exit. God continues to provide. The blizzard was a bit of a bust and we have already been plowed out twice by caring neighbours, Jeff will be home in two more days and we have been surrounded by offers of meals and help. And as for Meg's rash and my cold, both on the mend. I was humbled to be told to moisturize her skin by the doctor...apparently dry skin can worsen if not cause a rash. Hate when that happens. Balance is still far from my house these days and I'm afraid my diet is resembling the cookie model more than salads, but we are building forts and baking bread and having a lot of good moments. I still really miss Daddy, but am trying to keep on choosing joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment