Sunday, January 23, 2011

Animal Talk

The boys and I were sitting at the island having a little chat yesterday when we got on the subject of where meat comes from. I've managed to simplify my answer to "from a cow or pig or chicken" in the past, but my 5 year old thought about it and asked me this time if the animal dies if you take meat from it. I tried to quickly think of a diplomatic response, but came up with only a faint yes. My 3 year old animal lover was horrified and said that they shouldn't kill animals and that he was no longer eating meat. I told him that there were other people who felt the same way and who didn't eat meat, but rather lots of fruits and vegetables and beans..etc. and that they were called vegetarians. Little H quickly replied, "but they don't live very long do they, mom?". I couldn't help laughing a bit before telling the boys that it was on the contrary...vegetarians would probably say that they are healthier and live longer...although that's probably not what Daddy would say. I've been waiting to see the aftermath and if I need to start buying tofu for Hudson, but since he's rather clueless to what item on his plate is the meat, he hasn't had any objections. I'm so interested to see what values and interests and abilities my boy's continue to have as they grow. Vegetarianism may be a stretch in this household, but we'll certainly try to support them as they try to figure out the world and grow into the men God has created them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment