Sunday, June 6, 2010
Beautifully Flawed
Let me first start with an apology. I couldn't help but laugh when I went to my blog and saw the post...we are flawed. It sounded rather dramatic. (I've deleted it, in case you've missed it.) The part that made me laugh was that I had unintentionally posted it rather than save it in my file for ideas to write about at a later time. That's sleep deprivation. I often jot down ideas of things I want to process later when I have the time and energy...which was what that comment was. What it represents is a conversation that I had with a friend. We were talking about children with disabilities and how it is hard as a parent to not feel sorry for yourself or for them at times. At which point, she mentioned the idea that we are all flawed...we all have areas of weakness or imperfections according to worldly standards. With Little M or other children with disabilities they may just appear more obvious or in a more uniformed manner. I was thinking about how I would rather have a daughter who struggles to walk than one who struggles to be kind or honest...although she may do both. It had me thinking through my purpose as a mother and the goals I have for my children...my dreams and desires for them. I pray that they would love God...not just know about Him, but really know Him and love Him and that I could model that for them. I hope that they treat others with kindness and respect. I want them to have empathy and love and thoughtfulness and to be generous and content and joyful. Amazingly, as I processed this, I realized none of these things had to do with schooling or careers or physical abilities. It was good to look at Little M in the same light as the boys, to have the same goals and dreams for her. I don't want to look at her as a burden or a hardship...just another one of my kids...uniquely wonderful and beautifully flawed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
True, but why do you say so?
ReplyDeleteI've rewritten my post to answer your question...hope it makes more sense.
ReplyDeletePerfect sense.
ReplyDelete:)