One of the things I love most about being a mom is getting to see the individual talents and personality of each child revealed. I remember thinking when I was pregnant, "What will my baby look like? What will he/she be like?" It is neat to see the answer to both of those questions unfold as they grow. My oldest son is playing t-ball this year. We tried soccer for the past 2 summers, but he seemed really intimidated by the mass attack of the ball. We let him choose a sport to play this summer and supported his choice of t-ball. Now I am the antithesis of athletic...my body was not made for sport. I have no flexibility, no coordination and no quick reflexes...not a good combination for baseball. In fact, I am slightly afraid of the sport and completely uninterested...until I saw it through G's eyes. He lights up as soon as supper is drawing to an end and we tell him to go get changed into his uniform. Not generally eager to help out, he is ready to collect his ball and glove and bat and helmet without even being told. His enthusiasm is persistent on the drive, during fielding practice, waiting to go to bat, at bat, and as he chases the ball around the field. His brother cries from boredom and his mother would not be far behind, except for my enthusiasm in watching his excitement and feeling that awesome sense of pride. He doesn't need to do anything but stand there and I'm just proud of him for being him. I love that baseball is not something that either his father or I particularly like. It is not something that has been forced on him. It is just a genuine interest and ability of my uniquely wonderful son. Joy comes in a lot of unexpected experiences and places...so take me out to the ballgame. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Hidden Talents
One of the things I love most about being a mom is getting to see the individual talents and personality of each child revealed. I remember thinking when I was pregnant, "What will my baby look like? What will he/she be like?" It is neat to see the answer to both of those questions unfold as they grow. My oldest son is playing t-ball this year. We tried soccer for the past 2 summers, but he seemed really intimidated by the mass attack of the ball. We let him choose a sport to play this summer and supported his choice of t-ball. Now I am the antithesis of athletic...my body was not made for sport. I have no flexibility, no coordination and no quick reflexes...not a good combination for baseball. In fact, I am slightly afraid of the sport and completely uninterested...until I saw it through G's eyes. He lights up as soon as supper is drawing to an end and we tell him to go get changed into his uniform. Not generally eager to help out, he is ready to collect his ball and glove and bat and helmet without even being told. His enthusiasm is persistent on the drive, during fielding practice, waiting to go to bat, at bat, and as he chases the ball around the field. His brother cries from boredom and his mother would not be far behind, except for my enthusiasm in watching his excitement and feeling that awesome sense of pride. He doesn't need to do anything but stand there and I'm just proud of him for being him. I love that baseball is not something that either his father or I particularly like. It is not something that has been forced on him. It is just a genuine interest and ability of my uniquely wonderful son. Joy comes in a lot of unexpected experiences and places...so take me out to the ballgame. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment