Friday, October 22, 2010
Faking It
It was school pictures a few weeks ago for Little G. He found last years pics a little stressful, so I tried to prepare him a bit more for this year...especially since he's been struggling with getting his picture taken. When the camera comes out, his eyes seem to squint and an awkward grimace forms on his face. He also has a habit of looking away from the camera. This has led to a serious decline in photos in his album...okay it's more the third child factor than the lack of good pictures, but the combination has definitely slowed the additions to his photo album. As I pretended to be the photographer and said smile, G continued to squint and look away. I tried giving clear directions...they didn't help. I tried showing him what it looked like after each shot...it didn't help. Jeff finally walked by and told me I was making it worse, at which time we gave up with the process with a final, "Just be happy". Picture day came and went and seemed to go well...thus saith the five year old. When the proofs came in I struggled with what to say. He did look at the camera, but had clenched his lips in every picture. I guess you just can't fake being happy...at least at 5. Nor should you. I think that's the difference between joy and happiness. Joy cannot be faked. It isn't an instantaneous emotion, it is more from the core...based on a Trust that goes beyond circumstances. As for the pictures, I happened to be volunteering in G's class on the day that the pictures went home and was able to view all the children. It seems that Little G is only one of a vast number of 5 year olds struggling to smile on command. I'm going to spare him the retakes and buy a picture to remind myself of him in this wonderfully honest stage. Plus lips or no lips, I still think he's really cute!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment