Saturday, January 15, 2011
The Lives of Secret Agents
My two boys have been on a secret agent kick lately. They roam around the house "unlocking" items to wear as agents. This has included bracelets, sunglasses, watches, hats and continues all the way to a full winter snow suit. I love hearing them work together on their missions even though I'm realizing more and more that I'm less and less included in their world of play. For years, I've dragged my feet as they ask me to play with them and I feel the pressures of an impending dinner or smell the diapering needs of their sibling. Let's face it...I've also been really tired. Don't get me wrong...I usually make it a priority to spend some time with them each day, but it's taken on a more supervisory role and usually involves multitasking. As I'm increasingly not included in their play, I'm realizing just how quick that time goes. I've read the forwards about the dust will wait, play with you kids...and thought that's nice in theory, but you still got to get things done in a day. However, I'm wondering what my priorities would have been if I had my current perspective a couple years ago. I'm guessing there would be a little less dusting. I wish I could have fully embraced and have been present playing with my boys a little more. I'm not good at blocking out my to-do-list. Luckily they are only 3 and 5, so it's not too late. I may not love playing rescue heros and building car garages...but like I'm learning at church...it's not always about me. Although, the less they need me, the more I actually want to play. Ain't that the way. I understand that much of my time is required to handle the daily needs and appointments of my day. I simply can't always play, but I really want to be intentional when I do and show my boys that they and their priorities are also important to me. As I fill out Little H's JK registration forms...I'm realizing it really does go quickly. We need to choose joy in each moment and in the tasks that we think will never end...because they do....and we'll miss them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment