Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Going on a Bear Hunt
There's a children's song that talks about going on a bear hunt. When obstacles come up, such as swamps, the song says "can't go over it, can't go under it, can't go around it, gotta go through it". When I recently heard about another young family who just had a baby with a genetic disorder, my heart hurt for them. My heart also just hurt. It brought me right back to the weeks in the hospital. They felt surreal. They felt dark. I loved my new baby and definitely had moments of joy during that time. However, there was a lot of heavy thoughts and feeling to also process through. I had to grieve the daughter that my expectations had given birth to and my reality had shattered. I had to come to terms with the road set ahead of me and learn to cope in the black hole of uncertainty. I'm still doing that some days. As I thought about this young family having to go through the same, I so badly wanted to fix it or make it easier for them. That's when this song came to mind. There is no way around the process of grieving and acceptance. It is hard. It can hurt. But you just have to go through it to get to the other side. Don't get me wrong God did provide peace and joy during that time. However, despite trusting Him and His goodness...which was also a road to get to...my heart still hurt. I know that I can't take the pain from this family, I just hope that I can let them know that they are on alone on their journey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment