Monday, May 3, 2010
It's Raining, It's Pouring, the Ribs are Burning
They say when it rains it pours. Well it did that literally and figuratively this afternoon. After putting off cooking ribs in the fridge for a couple of days, today was the day to get down to business. I don't love the handling of bulky raw meat, but occasionally make ribs as a labour of love for my husband. Wouldn't you know that today I got the call that he would be working late...really late. With preparations underway, I used a gigantic pot to boil the ribs...I found an "easy" new way to try making ribs...then put them on the BBQ. I should have let the meat rot...or at least thrown it in the crock pot for a 9pm dinner. Hind sight is always 20/20. However, I continued with the challenge. Let me say that learning to BBQ while caring for 3 kids under 4 is not the best scenario. It got more complicated in that the heavens opened up and started pouring and I needed to collect the children in from the rain. This is the part where some butter...don't ask me about the butter...ignited on the BBQ and began to charcoal my entire meal. By the time I had the kids settled and I refocused on supper, there was little to salvage. A trip to Mr. Sub later, the kids were fed and I was about finished with this day. I did get them to bed...all later than I intended, but they did get to bed, with a story and hugs and kisses to boot. At 6 o'clock I was feeling my joy pushed to the limit...I was feeling everything pushed to the limit, but as I sit here in my still house, I realize that somehow we made it through another day. Some days there are stickers and stories and singing and playgrounds, some days it's closer to survival. Either way, tomorrow always comes and brings with it a new opportunity for me to choose the way that I am going to live. I choose to live in the moment...most of the time. I choose to be joyful even when I have reason to cry and sometimes do. And I choose to trust God's will for my life...burnt ribs and all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I must admit I feel responsible for the burnt dinner. It was my potatoes that tipped your dinner into crispness! I guess the subs should be on me:)
ReplyDelete