Sunday, May 30, 2010

Purple Polish Admiration

I went away overnight with some friends and found myself spending the morning painting my fingernails...something I haven't done in years. I examined two bottles of polish, one in hot pink and one in purple weighing out which would be most admired...not by the world at large, clearly not by my friends, and honestly not really by myself, but in the eyes of two little boys waiting at home for me. I finally chose the shiny purple option (slightly less offensive) and even finished it off with a white stenciled flower on each thumbnail. I felt excited and a sense of beauty when I admired the finished product...I think I caught a glimpse of it through their eyes. They did not disappoint. They immediately clasped my hands and expressed their admiration. "Why couldn't you do your toes purple too?" they wondered..."Mommy, can I have purple nails?", they inquired. This continued through the evening and into bedtime. The last thing little H did tonight was to reach out and grab my hand and take one last look. As I struggle with self-image as an extra 25 lbs holds onto my body and blemishes shine through the foundation, I try to remember that that does not matter to my boys and it does not matter to my maker. I want to live a life full of things that bring myself and others around me joy...may my life reflect Christ and my security in Him...if it happens to line up with current fashion, that's a bonus.

1 comment:

  1. Definately worth the heckling we gave you for the purple polish...definately.

    ReplyDelete